WordPress is the leading platform for building websites. It is popular not only because it is a good publishing platform but also for offering us tons of amazing features to build websites. It is powerful, flexible and enables us to own a piece of the internet. Although it is one of the best CMS platforms, there are also certain situations where you want to see the availability of other better options. Today we will show you 8 best WordPress alternatives which are very useful.
Depending upon only one platform is not considered to be good. WordPress also has its pros and cons. So, if you are focused on a particular purpose then many WordPress features might just get you all puzzled up.
Today people are searching for many options that are similar in features as WordPress. Therefore, we want to let our users know about great alternatives to WordPress. For a much more clear vision, we have categorized them into categories.
- It is free and open-source.
- Adaptability is present. So, you can make any type of website.
- It supports a number of media types.
- It’s easy to learn.
- Presence of a huge community.
- You can expand your website with themes and plugins.
- It is easily manageable.
- SEO comes first.
- You have complete control of your website.
- Everyone is doing it.
Why Should You Look For Other WordPress Alternatives?
As we know that WordPress is the most popular blogging platform used by around 60% of the people in the world. But it also has its own flaws.
Here are some of the drawbacks of using WordPress that may help you to know why you should look for other best WordPress alternatives.
WordPress is the first website building platform targeted by hackers and spammers worldwide. Thousands of people create themes, plugins, and various updates worldwide. You never know which plugin or theme used by you has security vulnerabilities.
Anyone can affect these plugins or themes with malicious code while developing or updating them. It is the biggest security vulnerability to steal links or traffic from your website.
WordPress is expensive
WordPress is going to cost you a bomb while designing websites. Not only the website design but also it costs for so many things if you’re on WordPress.
Few things are considered when there is a need to invest money:
- Domain name
- Web hosting
- Website design
- WordPress tools like premium plugins and tools
- WordPress security related stuff
Need for Technical skills to customize
Sometimes, WordPress really sucks since there is no drag and drop builder. There are no easy customizations. You’ll need to play with CSS and PHP whenever you need to make changes to your WordPress design. Customizing HTML, CSS, PHP files is not a piece of cake. Hence, it is not so user-friendly.
Categories of WordPress Alternatives
- CMS WordPress Alternatives
- eCommerce WordPress Alternatives
- Website Builder Alternatives for WordPress
- Blogging Platform WordPress Alternatives
CMS WordPress Alternatives
In 2018, Joomla is going to celebrate its 10th birthday. It is a multi-purpose as well as an open source CMS. It is considered to be a large community of users and developers.
Joomla has almost every feature as WordPress and even many more. It contains extensions and templates. Millions of users, businesses, corporates, several government agencies are using it all over the world. Joomla has a community support system similar to WordPress.
Pros of Joomla
- It has a variety of free plugins present on the homepage.
- Joomla provides a more multilingual platform.
- Joomla layout modules are more flexible.
- A user can easily manage a site with even hundreds of sub-pages.
- The URLs generated are helpful for better SEO ranking.
Cons of Joomla
- The third-party community of Joomla is not so big as WordPress.
- Sometimes, it becomes difficult to run some plugins without PHP.
- Its interface is difficult to comprehend initially.
- Joomla is not so developer friendly and user-friendly.
Drupal is another popular CMS. It is open-source software that has a strong user base similar to WordPress. About 2.1% of all websites on the internet like The Economist, State of Georgia etc are powered up by Drupal.
It contains different modules and themes as WordPress. The software requirements are also the same as WordPress and Joomla.
Pros of Drupal
- It is considered to be an ideal software to create highly advanced websites.
- It allows for rapid prototyping.
- Drupal helps to create a complex site quickly and efficiently.
Cons of Drupal
- Poor blogging modules.
- Installation is not straightforward at the time of comparison.
eCommerce WordPress Alternatives
Shopify is a great alternative to WordPress when you want to build an online store. It offers you an easy way to access tools in order to create your own online shop. Even you can do the selling of your products and can even accept payments quickly.
Shopify comes with ready-made templates, apps, and lots of integration options. It is an extremely flexible platform. Being user-friendly, it also enables entrepreneurs to promote their products.
Pros of Shopify
- Advanced real-time shipping options are available.
- Free Website Builder
- A variety of options are present for themes.
- You can show an unlimited number of items. This is because of unlimited disk space.
Cons of Shopify
- No options are available to extend the SEO of any content.
- Inefficient blogging functionality.
One of the popular eCommerce platforms after Shopify is BigCommerce. It helps to use the services to create the ideal platform. Blogging capabilities are also great.
We can say that it is easy to use. Not only this, but it is also protected by multiple layers of security. You can manage and run an efficient online shop here.
Pros of BigCommerce
- You can easily sell items outside your store on popular sites like eBay, Amazon etc.
- It does not require any transaction fee.
- It proves to be ideal for store processes.
Cons of BigCommerce
- Expensive premium themes.
- Its theme editor is also not so advanced like WordPress.
- Poor blogging platform.
Website Builder WordPress Alternatives
Wix is one of the most commonly used website builders. It has made its name for itself. 2006 is the release year of Wix. It is the most user-friendly platform. And hence competing with WordPress.
Wix not only enables you to create animations but also adds to the efficiency factor of this builder. You can create a perfect website using its amazing options as well as good features.
Pros of Wix
- Easy to use for beginners.
- The huge app market is available so that you can easily find the extensions.
- Well-designed templates in huge amount.
Cons of Wix
- An unnecessary distraction in the form of ads.
- Impossible to comprehend internal URLs that are generated.
- Some templates cannot be modified as per your choice.
Weebly is considered to be the best WordPress alternative. It helps to create your own website and that too by offering you a lot of pre-designed templates. Although it has limited eCommerce support. Yet there is a chance of using the custom domain names.
It contains a built-in selection of tools with various features. While WordPress has large plugins, Weebly is not as good as the formal one.
Pros of Weebly
- Best suited for beginners for simple websites.
- The overall outlook is functional and user-friendly.
- Little modifications are needed in its templates.
Cons of Weebly
- If you want to add Custom Content types then no options are there for you.
- Adding advanced marketing tools to your site is really difficult.
Blogging Platform WordPress Alternatives
It is an open-source platform based upon Node JS blogging. It was mainly designed for online publishing for bloggers. Ghost is entirely focused on blogging. It keeps the clutter away. For bloggers and readers, it provides a clean writing and browsing experience.
It is a very simple, lightweight content management system. It is not so flexible as WordPress. But yes, it is an amazing platform for beginners better than WordPress.
Pros of Ghost
- The design of the Dashboard is quite simple and clean.
- While editing and writing the content, there are features for you to view the live preview side-by-side.
- It provides necessary tools when required.
Cons of Ghost
- In Ghost, there are no plugins available to install and use.
- It is not suitable for other types of websites except blogs and publishing sites.
Medium is the fastest growing online publishing platform. It allows you to create stories. Along with this, you can also post them on your own personal web space. It is the best blogging alternative for WordPress since it has built-in social networking feature.
In-line notes and responses are also available. No need to worry about the software because it’s a completely hosted platform. Custom domains for publishers are also present through which you can put your own domain names on Medium.
Pros of Medium
- Its content management system is decent. You can easily work with it.
- Medium generates a lot of backlinks daily, it can make your site to rank higher on SERPs.
Cons of Medium
- If we talk about high-quality leads then it’s not so potential.
- You have very low chances to view the analytics of your contents.
At the end of the day, we suggest you focus on what you want to achieve no matter which tool you are using(WordPress or other alternatives). All the platforms discussed in this article are effective and efficient. But they have some pros and cons as well. You can pick anyone out of them that will give you the best experience in website building.
We hope this guide will surely help you. Don’t forget to share it with your Peers! If we missed any best WordPress alternative, feel free to tell us in the comments section.Follow us on Social Media